When we think of driving safely we often think of road conditions and adjusting our speed accordingly, being aware of other drivers around us and wearing our seat belts. Have you ever considered your windshield wipers as a safety feature?
We’ve all been caught in a sudden down pour of rain or worse when the water is splashing up from the road smearing dirt and grime reducing our visibility to a dangerous level. So when you really think about it, if you can’t see clearly through your windshield because the wipers are not cleaning properly or have become worn out, your windshield wipers can be one of your best defense for safe driving!
When to replace your windshield wipers?
When considering any preventative maintenance for your vehicle it is often based on the manufactures guidelines and your driving habits. For replacing your windshield wipers consider wear from exposure to elements, the rubber component in a wiper blade deteriorates due to road debris, chemicals, climate and ozone exposure.
For windshield wipers a standard rule is to check them every six months – but considering Winnipeg’s harsh weather conditions you may need to watch for these signs as well:
- Wipers are streaking and smearing the windshield.
- Screeching or squeaking noises when wipers are in use.
- Rubber blades are split or worn out.
- Bent or damaged frames.
What to consider when choosing new windshield wipers:
- First you need to know the size of wiper your vehicle needs. Check your owner’s manual or measure the blades yourself.
- If one of your wipers is not working properly or damaged, it’s recommended to replace both for peak performance.
- There are different types and quality of wiper blades ranging from aerodynamic design to season specific blades for winter that keep the wiper free of ice and snow. Check with your service team at Frank Motors to see which wiper blades are best for you.
How to install new windshield wipers:
- Replacing windshield wipers is fairly simple, but steps vary depending on your vehicle’s type of wiper. Your owner’s manual should walk you through the process or ask your service team at Frank Motors.
- An important step to include is properly cleaning your windshield when new wiper blades are installed and periodically during the year.
- Once you’ve installed the blades, test them right away to ensure they work properly—that way you know they’ll function when you need them to.